Center for International and Comparative Law and Saint Louis University Law Journal Symposium on Misinformation/Disinformation & the Law
Download Full Text
The avenues for misinformation (the dissemination of inaccurate content, irrespective of intent) and disinformation (the deliberate spread of inaccurate information with the purpose of misleading others) have increased dramatically in recent years, in both the online and offline environments. This symposium seeks to map out the heterogeneity of misinformation and disinformation, and in particular its salience in the legal and regulatory space, as well as possible solutions to ongoing manifestations of mis/disinformation.
Introduction: Dean William P. Johnson, Saint Louis University School of Law
Panel 1: Mis/Disinformation Across the World: A Comparative Overview of Mis/Disinformation in Singapore, Italy, and in Islamic Law Jurisdictions Moderator: Prof. Monica Eppinger
- Ang Peng Hwa, professor, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Maria Luce Mariniello, attorney, Agcom, Italy
- Mahsa Alimardani and Mona Elswah, Ph.D. researchers, Oxford Internet Institute, U.K.
Panel 2: Regulating Mis/Disinformation: On-the-ground Approaches to Counter Mis/Disinformation Moderator: Prof. Molly Walker Wilson
- Joan Donovan, research director of the Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy, Harvard Kennedy School
- Lisa Kaplan, founder, Alethea Group
- John Cook, research assistant professor at the Center for Climate Change Communication, George Mason University
Keynote: A conversation with Meredith Berger, senior manager, Microsoft, Defending Democracy Program
Panel 3: The Next Frontiers in the Regulation of Mis/Disinformation: Online Platforms, Artificial Intelligence, and Financial Markets Moderator: Prof. Carol Needham
- Thomas Kadri, assistant professor, University of Georgia School of Law
- Sara Gerke, research fellow in medicine, artificial intelligence and law, Petrie-Flom Center, Harvard Law School
- Shimon Kogan, visiting finance professor, MIT Sloan School of Management
Misinformation, Disinformation, Law, dissemination, inaccurate, heterogeneity, manifestations
Hwa, Ang Peng; Mariniello, Maria Luce; Alimardani, Mahsa; Elswah, Mona; Donovan, Joan; Kaplan, Lisa; Cook, John; Kadri, Thomas; Gerke, Sara; and Kogan, Shimon, "Center for International and Comparative Law and Saint Louis University Law Journal Symposium on Misinformation/Disinformation & the Law" (2021). Law Journal Symposia: Center of International and Comparative Law. 1.